Tuesday, August 30, 2011

All In A Week's Time!

Wow, what a week last week was.  Tuesday, we felt an earthquake that happened in Virginia, but was felt all up and down the east coast.   Living on the east coast, especially the eastern shore of Maryland, I never ever woulda thunk that I would feel an earthquake.  What an unsettling feeling.  I was at work in my office, with the door closed (doing my daily milkin', if you really want to know) and all of a sudden I Feel like the floor is moving.  My blinds were shaking. I hear rattling.  I thought at first- Is a train going through?  WAIT there is no train nearby!  It felt like my house when the train is going by...but just more dramatic, I guess.  Then it wasn't as bad, but it still was moving my calendar pages... then I thought I was the dizzy one. I wasn't sure what, if anything had just happened...or if it was just in my mind. 
I had to finish milkin' so my door was still closed, but I thought I could hear other staff talking outside my door but couldn't tell if they were talking about what just happened.  At first I thought it was just me.   Then I tried to use my phone to call Abigail's pediatrician (she had a fever earlier that day) and my phone wouldn't work-  it had reception but it beeped this weird beep and said the connection had an error, or something like that.  I had never seen that message come up before.  I knew something was going on.  Shortly after I finished up and opened my door, went out on the dialysis treatment floor and the nurses were saying "check out the news, there was just an earthquake".  (there are televisions above each patient's chair so we can watch the soap operas- oops I mean the news if we need to)  SERIOUSLY!?  It was crazy.  I guess the actual earthquake happened in VA....but it was felt all over the place.  I never thought that would have happened in a million years...quite scary, to be honest.

And to make matters worse, we were already keeping eye on a hurricane that had just started to form... headed straight for North Carolina and up the coast.  Good ole Irene...
Working in dialysis just makes bad weather seem even worse, and makes me worry a heck of a lot more, because we usually have to plan ahead of time and try to figure out whether to reschedule the patients or just play it by ear and hope the weather won't be as bad... this hurricane was supposed to hit HARD so we ended up juggling around the schedule to ensure that all of our patients got in before the storm hit hard.  We have a great team where I work, so things got done, but it's just a big headache in the process!! And part of MY job is ensuring that the patients have transportation to get to their treatments, which can be headache in itself.  But I will save that ranting for another day :)  Everything worked out, and we brought in patients on Friday afternoon/evening so that they didn't have to come out Saturday mid morning/afternoon. 

Ryan was able to get home Friday evening a lot sooner than normal which was great.  He helped me prepare for the storm, making sure we had food, water, etc.  To make a long story short... the hurricane came, and went.  It didn't hit us nearly as bad as it could have been... and for that, I am thankful.  I have Auntie Deb and Uncle Richard who live right on the coast of NC, and thank goodness they didn't have damage to their home either.  I know not everyone was fortunate, but I am just glad we were spared from the devastation that it very well could have been.

For Ryan, Abigail Camden and I, it was a great weekend spent cooped up in the house.  We didn't go anywhere the entire weekend from Friday until Ryan had to leave Sunday afternoon (which is the worst part of the week for me). It was nice to have a reason to not leave... we don't do that often.  Typically we are running errands, going out places just to get out, etc.  We had good quality family time together.... haha.  I spent most of it reading The Help (great book by the way) and Ryan got in some quality video gaming.  And Abigail...well, Abigail just got into a little bit of everything!

Speaking of Abigail... She's been teething- all last week she had a slight fever off and on, but nothing worth going to the doctor for. I did call them because I wasn't sure what to do... I never had ever had to buy her medication so I had no idea what I was doing!  I gave her ibuprofen a few times throughout the week which helped... some mornings she would be burning up, she was so hot. The meds seemed to help break the fever. Most of the fevers were just borderline.  She didn't seem fazed by it, except she has been waking up at night again... it's not too big of a deal because she tends to go back down after I nurse her for a few minutes...  I don't think it's that she is hungry, but she's like me and once she's awake, she is awake and hard to go back to sleep and nursing just helps her to settle back down I guess.  I don't know what I will do when she isn't breastfeeding anymore! I won't think about that :)  As much as I hate pumping... I  continue to do it for the good of my daughter and will continue as long as I need to.  Plus I can't imagine how much money I have saved by not having to buy formula.  Isn't it expensive??

Anyway, back to the teething- she has been getting her top teeth in!  The one is starting to make it's way down and the other has just broken through.  She tends to get them both at the same time.  She hasn't really been cranky, just waking up more often. 

This weekend coming up is Labor Day weekend... already??? Where did the time go?  Originally I wanted to getaway with hubby and Abigail to Lancaster or somewhere...but we decided to head to his moms house for the weekend instead. Trying to save money that we don't have, haha.  I am hoping to skedaddle from work a little early on Friday so I can get up to Sykesville by 6 at the latest..pick up hubby and head to his moms, which is a little over 1 hour from there, up in PA.  Not sure what the weekend will consist of, but we will drop Ryan off at the academy and head back home on Sunday evening. I will save the getaway for our anniversary/my birthday week, or whenever Ryan has off sometime around those dates. 

Speaking of Ryan... after this week ends... he will only have (drumroll please).... THREE WEEKS LEFT!!  Yay!  Yes, in one way, this past almost six months has gone by fast.... except when I am in the middle of the week (like now) and it feels like it's creeping by.  We still have NO clue what barracks he will be stationed...and he has no clue when he finds out.  We are hoping and praying he finds out soon.  Once we know, I will definitley let everyone know.  Just praying for anywhere on the Eastern Shore... I really would hate for him to have to commute across the bay bridge every day.... that would be terrible.  But we will see what happens, with time.  God has a plan- I have to remind myself of that.

Well, I guess I have rambled enough...  Abigail sometimes walks like a monkey now... like she wants to stand up.  It's rather cute.  I forgot to get camera batteries at the store, so I haven't been able to upload my pictures or take new ones.  I will definitely do that soon. 

That is my update- sorry it took me forever! Just so much going on all of the time!  Toodles.

No comments:

Post a Comment